Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Palin Choice

My views on the selection of a Vice Presidential candidate were stated earlier, and it's not surprising that Democrats have jumped at what they see as a politically motivated choice of an inexperienced running mate by Senator McCain for a running mate.

A call to reserve judgment comes from a surprising source:

At a stop in Monaca, Pa., Barack Obama seemed to distance himself from his campaign's first, harshly critical response to the Palin pick. 

"I think that...campaigns start getting these hair triggers and the statement that Joe and I put out reflects our sentiments," he said, according to the pool report, apparently criticizing his staff for going overboard, as he did occasionally in the primary. 


...

"I'm pleased with my choice for vice president, Joe Biden. I think he's the man who can help me guide this country in a better direction and help working families."
 This is Obama at his best.  Rather than belittling his opponent, he states the positive case for his own choice.  While politicians some times have others take the low road only to seem "above the fray," I don't think that's the case here.

No comments: